Gary’s Catrike 700 Fender Solution
Catrike 700 owners who choose to install a rear fender know the dilemma well: the fender does not fit like the Catrike instructions show, thus leaving each owner to solve the problem in some personal and creative manner. Those of you who have been following my own fender puzzle on my 700 page, know how I did it, but, as they say, there is more than one way to skin a Cat! All kinds of solutions are waiting for human minds to discover them. Well, TA reader Gary Bunting, who just purchased a 2014 Catrike 700, figured it out like this (his written explanation follows photos):
The mounting method includes a piece of 1/4-inch ID reinforced automotive fuel line that is cut at an angle to roughly match that of the fender tab angle relative to that of the end of the main frame tube and threaded insert where the fender is attached with a screw.
I took about 5/8-inch of the tubing and cut the angle 3/8-inch in from one of the straight cut-off ends, with approximately 1/4-inch of the other straight cut-off end having the opposed angle due to the cut. These two pieces fit on either side of the fender tab slot, with an appoximately 9/16-inch long, 1/4-inch ID brass tube running through the center of the pieces of fuel line tubing, and traversing the slot in the fender tab. The fender attachment stainless steel, button-head acrew (socket head) runs through a flat washer, then through the brass tub/fuel line tubing arrangement, and then into the threaded insert in the frame tube. When tightening the whole thing up, the shorter brass tube allows compression of the rubber pieces, allowing adequate and tight securing of the assembly to the frame. In addition, none of this is subject to galvanic corrosion and affords a shock isolation feature to the assembly.
Admittedly, because I did this on my kitchen table with a rubber hose cutter, a small metal tube cutter, a hobby vise and a dremmel tool, the whole thing is a bit crude but works very effectively and simply. Only took about 10 minutes from start to finish to get it all together. The rubber tube on the inside of the fender is not very long, so it has a tendency to ‘pudge’ when the assembly is tightened, but not enough to make any appreciable effect on securing the fender in place.
I don’t think I’m going to spend any more time on this part of the fender installation. I am happy with outcome and have confidence that it is a reliable and simple solution.